Monday, February 25, 2008

My Unitarian Journey: Step 2, Pray tell

"Prayer is not asking. It is a longing of the soul. It is daily admission of one's weakness. It is better in prayer to have a heart without words than words without a heart."

- Mahatma Ghandi


Yesterday's UUC service was on the topic of prayer, and all the different ways to pray. Considering my most often used form of prayer consists of a sharply uttered, "JESUS CHRIST!" (or, on really special occasions, "JESUS H. CHRIST!") I didn't have a whole lot of formulated thought ready on the topic.

Aside from a couple fervent years when I was a teenager, during the time I considered becoming a nun one day (!), prayer has never been a big part of who I'm about. There've been exceptions, times when things were so dark and scary I did make a few "mental requests" to a God who may or may not actually be there. The results of those applications sometimes seemed apparent, and the request was either granted or not (strangely, this happened about 50 % of the time, go figure), but because I could never prove conclusively that anything was ever influenced by my prayers I eventually fell off that wagon. I wasn't convinced anything I said was going anywhere, or that it did any good.

But I think there are effective ways to pray that even we uncertain could employ to good effect. Some just call it meditation, and it's used in all sorts of different ways by different people. It doesn't have to be religious in theme. It can be more about centering yourself, or thinking deeply about things in general or something in specific that's bugging you. The bottom line is it should make you feel better, more equipped to deal with Life, the Universe and Everything.

Whatever your practice, if you feel better that's what matters. Throwing out good wishes for others can never be a bad thing, either. Whether or not that accomplishes anything in the form of measurable response I honestly don't know, but drawing yourself out of yourself, and into a more humanist, caring mindset is never a bad thing. And if it does turn out to have helped someone, how much better knowing you gave it a shot.

Learn not to be the center of your own Universe. I guess that's what I'm trying to say. Honor yourself and your thoughts, feelings, problems, etc., but realize other people are going through a lot of crap, too. I think Gandhi said that originally. Anyway, a little time spent honoring others is bound to remind you others suffer, too. That may sometimes make your own problems seem if not smaller then at least commonly shared.

Just don't use the time for thinking things that are vindictive. And no voodoo dolls, either. That's so uncool, and so, SO bad for the karma. Though yeah, I feel that temptation sometimes, too. We all do, whether we admit it or not.

There are also all kinds of books out there containing inspiring quotes you can use to guide your meditation, not to mention meditation guides themselves. I bought one recently, though I haven't even had time to look at it yet. But still, I have it.

In case anyone asks.

1 comment:

Poetryman said...

Lost in the clouds with Jupiter transcendent

Lost in the clouds with Mars ascendant.




Love Luck and the music of the Spheres.



Azure in the arms of Cerulean


Cast adrift in the Indigo isles


May Angel love and Moon glow light your path.

Zen and the Art of Bluestalking Maintenance

One woman's search for enlightenment in a distinctly unenlightened
world.

About Me

My photo
Mum of three, navigating mid-life in suburban Chicago. Rolling down the hill faster and faster every day. Trying to make the best of it.