Sunday, March 9, 2008

Sundays... BLECH.

" The feeling of Sunday is the same everywhere, heavy, melancholy, standing still."

- Jean Rhys


My question today is why do Sundays tend to feel so awful? I don't have a job I dread going to on Mondays or anything. That would explain some of it, but I love working in a library. What bibliophile wouldn't? So why does the last day of the week leave me feeling so melancholic? I can't quite get my head around that, even if it does seem like a fairly universal thing, dreading Sundays.

Sundays are usually pretty good days here, especially lately. Paul and I have gotten into the routine of going to breakfast and then to UUC services on Sunday mornings, sometimes hitting a bookstore after, sometimes going to Starbuck's. It's not like we have nothing to look forward to at the end of the week. I do usually have homework to do on Sundays, but I don't hate that, either. It's library school, after all. It doesn't (usually) suck.

So why do Sundays leave me with that feeling of dread in the pit of my stomach? They just feel so sad to me, so lacking in hope, no matter what the actual state of my day is. They're like one long string of grey days, unremittingly dismal.

It could partially be the weather, and the fact this has been a loooooong, dragged out season of cold and snow. The good news is today we set the clocks ahead, giving us more daylight hours in the evening, shortening those seemingly endless nights to something a little more manageable. I'm hoping as things warm up I'll perk up a little on Sundays, and as the days grow longer things will seem more positive.

I'll be back either later today or tomorrow to report on this week's UUC message. In the meantime, hope all's well with you and yours.

Now I'm off to do homework. The homework that doesn't suck, in case you were wondering.

1 comment:

wormauld said...

I so know what you mean about Sundays especially as I live on my own. if depression is going to strike it comes punctually on sunday. I have things to do like go to mass and every other Sun. I go and see the Lady who helped me look after my mum.Gosh big flash of lightning)There are always books and OU courses I'm doing and my languages but forget it all most Sundays. Just cruise through. I use the lessons I had in cognative therapy a lot on Suns. It does work but it doesn't tell us why they are so bad.

Zen and the Art of Bluestalking Maintenance

One woman's search for enlightenment in a distinctly unenlightened
world.

About Me

My photo
Mum of three, navigating mid-life in suburban Chicago. Rolling down the hill faster and faster every day. Trying to make the best of it.